Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

One week...

Emmy, it's been a week since I heard the news that you had left us. It seems like it's been forever, and yet only yesterday. I still don't want to believe it's true. I keep kicking myself that I didn't call you when I got back from South Carolina on Monday. I figured you'd be calling me at work like you always do, and I'd talk to you then. I've learned the hard way to never wait. If I'd known the last time I'd ever hug you would have been three weeks ago- I'd never have let go. If I'd known the last time I would hear your voice was two weeks ago- I'd never have hung up the phone. If I'd known we'd only have 20 years, I'd have used those moments so much better.

But the fact is we can't know. All we can do is do better. I just wish I had realized it sooner.

Emmy, we are all so lost without you. I hope that you could see all the people who were there on Saturday. I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of people you have touched. I hope you know how loved you are. And how much you are missed.

It's going to be so hard... but I'll never forget. It's like the ee cummings poem says, "i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)"