Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Missing stuff

Do you want to know what she did???
We finally got into her computer, and I was looking at the music she had saved on her computer. She had burned almost every cd I owned onto her computer.

That’s what irritated me to no end about her. If she had asked, I would have let her copy them in a heartbeat. Heck, knowing me- I’d even have let her use them and then eventually forgotten I had even given them to her! But she never asked, she sneaked. Same thing with my sweaters. I always blamed myself for losing them in the mess that I call my bedroom, but invariably- I’d either catch Emily wearing one, or find them in her closet. She used my bath soap, and stole my toothpaste. She’d use my hairbrush and leave her hair in it. She ALWAYS stole my hidgie bands. I found her “stash” of them hidden in the downstairs bathroom. And I don’t even have the satisfaction of using them, because my hair is too short to pull into a ponytail! When we were little she ate the feet off of my Barbie dolls, she stole my blanket. She kept the pegs from my Lite Brite, because she thought they were pretty. She swiped my pens, and dulled the points of my expensive colored pencils. We fought over a blanket that we got when we lived in Turkey, and the only reason she didn’t get that is because I was forced to hide it from her. She would have worn my shoes if her feet hadn’t been so much smaller. She took my earrings, and always lost one. And then she justified keeping the lone earring because she could wear it in her top hole in her cartilage. I’m still not convinced she doesn’t have the missing ones stashed away somewhere too, but I haven’t looked yet. She ate all the “good stuff” out of her Easter basket, and then started eating mine. She conned me out of a blanket I had crocheted for myself, she took my gloves and scarves.

And what gets me, is that all that stuff I would have shared. (Well, except the Barbies. I had a legitimate reason to not let her play with them. She ate their feet! I have a box of Barbies that have bandages where their feet should be, because Emily chewed them off.)

And I’m sitting here laughing at how mad I used to get at her. How we fought over the silliest things. I’m telling you- the war over the Turkish blanket was not pretty. We almost came to blows over that one. It seems so silly now.

I’m thankful God gives us the gift of memories. The ones that make you laugh, the ones that make you cry, and even the ones that make you angry. Sometimes I think it would be easier if I could just forget her, but there are more good memories than the bad. And I say that I would have shared all those things- but I mean, seriously. What sisters do actually willingly share? Stealing each others things is just what they do. And in the big scheme of things, what she was taking from me was all pretty meaningless. Well, except the Barbie dolls. I still haven’t quite gotten over that. :)

No comments: