Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Scary movies and getting even...

I was texting back and forth with my cousin Rachel last night. (Oh the joys of being 13 with a new cell phone and unlimited text messaging!) Anyway, she was telling me about some scary ghost show she was watching on TV, and it reminded me of a funny Emily memory.

When Mom was involved in Girl Scouts she would go away for weekend leader’s retreats. (I still think that was just a ruse to get all those women away from their kids and husbands for a weekend. I mean seriously, just how much training do you really need?! Just kidding, Mom.) Anyway, when she was gone, we would rent all the scary movies and action movies that Mom doesn’t particularly like and spend the weekend staying up late and watching them. So this all started one weekend when Mom was gone and the three of us decided to watch “What Lies Beneath”. Which is by far one of the scariest movies I think I have ever seen. At one point, we paused the movie for a bathroom break. Emily commandeered the upstairs bathroom, so I had to go downstairs. Mind you, we were watching the scariest movie I have ever seen. With scary bathroom scenes. Anyhow, when I started back upstairs, Emily was back in the living room, but Dad wasn’t there. She had this really weird look on her face, and when I asked where Dad was. She shrugged her shoulders, still with that strange look. Then all of a sudden from the hallway I heard, “RRAAAAARRRRRRR!!!” I screamed, half jumped and then half fell to my knees, still on the stairs, terrified out of my bloody mind. Emily was falling off the chair she was laughing so hard. That answered my question where Dad was. And I for one was thankful I had already gone to the bathroom. She was so smug that she and Dad cooked this up. Neither one would ever ‘fess up over who thought of the idea first. But Emily was pretty pleased with herself.

So needless to say, I had to get even at Em. Yes, I know Dad was the one who did the jumping and making of loud noises… but that’s to be expected from him. (And even I must admit, it was pretty funny.) But still, Emily turned traitor. She broke the unspoken sisterhood vow. It’s the kids against the parents. You don’t break ranks and join the other side.

So fast forward many months later. Both mom and dad were gone for the weekend, and Emily had invited a couple friends over. I know one of them was Dacia.. and I think Diana was there too, but I can’t remember now. One of them brought “The Ring”, which is also a very scary movie. The whole premise of the movie is that people watch this videotape, then they get a phone call telling them they are going to die. (Or something like that, it’s been awhile. But I do remember the part about the phone call. Remember that, it is very important to this story.) We paused the movie for a bathroom break and Emily felt the need to tell them about the time she and Dad “got me.” We all had a good laugh at my expense, (haha), and then it hit me. The perfect revenge.
We turned the lights back off, and finished the movie. Now at some point, Emily had ended up with the phone next to her. I just happened to have my cell phone in my pocket. I waited until the movie ended, and just as they turned it off… “BRRRRIIINNNNG!!”
I have never laughed so hard in my life. Emily screamed, threw the phone across the room, and practically jumped into Dacia’s lap. I think I scared Diana along with Emily (I’m pretty sure it was Diana…) but Dacia had seen me with the phone, so she knew what I was doing. Felt kinda bad for scaring Diana too, but the look on Emily’s face was priceless.
I laughed, and laughed, and laughed. She pretended to be ticked, but even she admitted that she had it coming.

Oh… the memories.

No comments: