Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Missing South Carolina

Somehow it was harder leaving Laurie’s this time. It’s funny because usually when I’m there I’m always thinking “I only have four more days until I have to leave”, or “only two days left”, or “I can’t believe I have to leave tomorrow.” But not so much this time. It’s like… I just got so used to being there, I wasn’t even dwelling on having to leave. Until Sunday afternoon, and then it was all I could think about. I wished I could have just stayed and not come back. It was about three o’clock before I finally left. And as Lauren and I stood in her kitchen and she hugged me, I started crying. Even she was getting weepy, and I’ve only ever seen her cry once before. Maybe it was just because it seems like so very long before I’ll be able to get back down there again- not until after the beginning of the year. Maybe it was because we’re both struggling with what we want to do with our lives, and it was comforting to commiserate together. Maybe because the last time I left her house, two days later my world fell apart. Whatever it was, it was just way too hard. Something about SC really calls to me. I feel like I’m home when I’m there. Every time I’m there it’s like that. We’ve been talking for years about me moving down there. Lauren’s already offered to let me stay with her. At first I was afraid I only wanted to because of them. And I know I can’t live with her forever. But I can still see myself making a life in Columbia. I just don’t know if I can do that to Mom and Dad right now. Is that selfish? I’m going to have to move out someday, is there ever a right time? Neither of them want to stay here in Greencastle forever either- I think they dislike it here as much as I do. And I can’t very well be in my 30’s and still living at home.

I need a change. I’ve needed a change for years, I was just too scared to leave my comfort zone. Now I’m too scared to stay there.

No comments: