Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2008

A typical phone call

A typical conversation from Emily, usually when I am at work:

“Good afternoon, this is Melissa.”

“HI! It’s me!”

“Hi me, what’s up?”

“Nothing. I’m bored, what are you doing?”

“Well, I’m working.”

“Oh”

“Did you need something?”

“No, not really.”

“Ok…..well….”

“so what’s new?”
“nothing since the last time you called.”

“oh”

“Em, if you don’t need anything, I really do have to get back to work.”

“Oh, ok. pause Oh, do you know what Mom is making for dinner?”

“I have no idea.”

“Oh. You should call her and tell her we should go out for dinner.”

“You call her and ask her.”

“No, she’ll do it if you call and ask her.”

“I don’t want to go out to dinner.”

“oh.”

Silence

“so what are you doing next Friday?”

“Emily, I have no idea- it’s only Monday.”

“oh”

“Why?”

“well, there’s a movie coming out that I think looks good. We should go.”

“okay- that’s over a week away. Do I have to decide now?”

“no…..”

“Em, I really have to get back to work.”

“but I’m still bored.”

“well I’m not- I’m working.”

“okay, love you bye.”

“love you too, bye.”

No comments: