Pages

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Penguins

I'm sitting here crying... over penguins. Yes, penguins. I checked the news online, and came across a story about an oil spill off the coast of Uruguay that has killed dozens and dozens of penguins and sea lions. I should have clicked off the story then, but I kept reading, and then looked at the pictures. Big mistake. Pictures of these beautiful creatures covered in oil washed up on the shore. Pictures of the ones still alive, completely covered in oil, looking at the camera with such a sad look in their eyes. I never knew a penguin could look so mournful. I wanted to get on a plane and fly over there and help save these poor animals. (I don't even know where Uruguay even IS.)

Because you see... even penguins remind me of Emily. I can't escape her, reminders are everywhere. It reminded me of the "Happy Feet" movie we were first in line to see. And the "March of the Penguins", that we never finished watching. And just because she thought they were so cute.

Defenseless creatures shouldn't have to suffer like those penguins are. Little sisters shouldn't die young.

No comments: