Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Made it- finally

Well I've made it here- finally. I suppose eventually we all have to have a "bad" travel experience.
Thursday my plane from Dulles was delayed for an hour or so. Which wouldn't have been so bad.... if I wasn't already sitting on it. They said they were getting some kind of error message on the external power something or other. And that it wasn't a big deal if the mechanics couldn't fix it because we didn't really need it to fly to Chicago. To me, anything that has the phrase "external power" sounds pretty darn important.

So they fixed it or did whatever they had to do and we landed in Chicago without a hitch. I met up with the rest of the team, and got ready to wait for our 9:40PM flight to Krakow.

hahahahahahaha.

Seems like our plane was slightly delayed. Like, not taking off until 3:30AM delayed. There was a problem with the plane they were flying in, so they landed in Warsaw and sent another one. But by the time that plane arrived, the flight crew wasn't allowed to fly without sleeping, so our flight was delayed.

Which is perfectly fine with me. I'd much rather have my pilot awake.

So we hung out in the Chicago airport for a loooooong time. Airport chairs are not conducive to sleeping. The biggest concern is that only 10 of us were flying from Chicago. The other nine were arriving in Krakow from various places, and would arrive without knowing we were delayed. Thank goodness for cell phones. Terri arranged for someone to meet them and take them back to the hotel until we got there.

But the plane arrived safe and sound. We got to our hotel, and after a shower and a meal I feel like a new person. I kept a running journal, which I'll try and add here later. They charge to use the internet, so I don't want to be too long.

I hope it's only lingering lack of sleep that's causing it, but I really just want to go home. Today was kind of our "free" day in Krakow. I hope once we get to the jobsite my attitude will straighten out, but right now.... I'm a little homesick. Okay, alot homesick. Perhaps I just need another Polish beer, haha.

My minutes are adding up, and if I go on complaining, I'll be out a fortune... so I'd better sign off.
We're going to Auschwitz tomorrow. I was really debating about whether I wanted to do that again. That was hard last year. I decided to go. After seeing that again, that should fix the whining for sure.

Then off to Gliwice to work!
Stay tuned- hopefully I'll be checking in a day or so with a better attitude.

No comments: