Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Beauty in the light


I love fire.

I love the way the flames seem to dance. I love the way the colors are so distinct, yet at the same time seem to blend so easily into one. Reds, yellows, oranges, blues.... fire can be so beautiful.

I spent this past weekend at a campground with my aunts and my cousins. Sitting around the campfire on Saturday night, I found myself just staring off into the flames. Thinking about how blessed I am to have such incredible people in my family. Thinking about Emily. Thinking about how things are going to be changing so much pretty soon. Just generally getting lost in thought.

I really miss Emily. In some ways, I miss her now more than ever. I wonder if now that the numbness has started to wear off, it's really hit home that she's never coming back. And as I sat staring into those flames, I just plain missed her.

When I was in Poland, we toured the All Saints Cathedral. While we were in the sanctuary, there was a place to light little votive candles. (I'm sure there is an actual term for this, but I can't remember what it is at the moment.) There were three tiers of candles. Most were lit. The church was semi-dark, and the beauty of the candles flickering against the backdrop of that centuries-old church took my breath away. And even though I'm not Catholic, I lit one for Emily. Not because I held any beliefs that by lighting that candle it would "do something." But just out of a need to still have something of her to hold onto. Something physical to represent her. Something I could see.
I know that it's long since burned out by now. But it was there, flame flickering and light dancing for all to see. Lending it's little light to the bigger picture. Kind of symbolic for my sister's life. It doesn't matter that the candle is no longer there. What matters is that it was. Each of those lights represented something. A prayer, a person, a memory. And each person who sees those lights I think carries a bit of the person it honors with them. Not necessarily by knowing who the light shines for. But just in knowing that it's shining.

And for me, that's enough.

1 comment:

Heather of Swallowing A Moose said...

I wanted to stop over and share with you that I loved your Memorial Box contibution this week! It tough to be young, like you and I, and be amongst bad influences in the job place. The Lord seperated me from my career nearly 2 years ago. An as bad as I miss doing what I love- design- I certainly didn't have to miss all the other opportunities that the Lord has given instead of the 'worldly' one's there.

I am sorry for the loss of your sister too! I read around a bit on your blog and learned about her early passing. I am certain the Lord will use that situation in His big plans for your life. He always uses the things satan has meant to destroy us to be the things He uses for great glory when we give it to Him. I can attest to that trust from experience.

Anyhow, precious blog. Happy to hear how the Lord captured your heart with the closure of one door followed by Him opening another one with greater purpose in mind.

Sweet Blessings,
Heather of S-A-M