Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Got a case of the moldy blues...

I know that this probably doesn't rank up there with major catastrophe's, or can hardly even be considered a big deal...... but it's devastating nonetheless.

My favorite coaster seems to have contracted a case of mold.







Why is this my favorite coaster?

Well for starters, because of what it says. I love Google. I love self-depreciating humor. And I love the color red. Three of my favorite things all in one.

Oh yeah, and the biggest reason? Emily "gave" it to me. Loosely translated, she stole it from the Outback one night when we went to dinner. Although I'm not sure if it counts as stealing, as I think they expect people to take them.

It's strange how certain things are harder than others. Mom has trouble with Fudruckers. Dad has trouble at the Giant where Emily worked. I don't like the Outback anymore. Too many memories tied to it, I suppose. But I still love my Outback coaster.

I didn't think about how much my water cup "sweats" during the day, and now I've let it get moldy. I noticed it today, and as I held it in my hand... the reasonable part of my brain is saying "throw it away, it's icky". But as my hand hovers over the trash can, the unreasonable part of me that's tied to my heart is warring with the ick factor and won't let me let go. Somehow it feels like throwing away part of Emily's memory. As I'm re-reading my words, even I can see how unreasonable that sounds. But I still can't bring myself to do it.

Sigh

Anyone know a remedy for getting mold out of a cheap, yet priceless, cardboard coaster?

2 comments:

Sue said...

Pictures are so two-dimensional, but objects provide that three dimensional validation of the person we miss so much. I guess that is why I still have a brown bedrest with the stuffing falling out of the ripped side. I don't use the silly thing, but still can't bear to part with it after all these years. It was the last Christmas present my brother gave me. So I say, keep the coaster as long as the memory is stronger than the 'ick' factor....

Dinahmyte said...

Maybe put it into a ziplock baggie?