Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Cookie and Beanie Moments

It's that time again. They're out looking for you. They're wiley and cunning and they know how to get you. No one is safe. And they're armed with.... cookies.
Yep. It's Girl Scout cookie time again. And sake's alive, they are everywhere. And because I've given up sweets for Lent (what was I thinking?!) I haven't been able to touch a one of them. My cousin Sarah is a Girl Scout. The little girl at church is a Girl Scout. One of my co-workers brought his little girl through the office to sell cookies. (She really made out like a bandit). They're so cute, you can't say no. I think between them all I've bought about 10 boxes. No more!

This past weekend I stopped by the local grocery store. As I was walking up, I saw a Brownie troop stationed by the door.
"Be strong." "Just say no." "You don't need anymore cookies". "You don't even know these kids, you can say no." "Don't look them in the eye." "Don't let them sense your weakness". "No, no, no, no."
Quickly I tried to squeeze in the door before they could see me.... out of the corner of my eye I saw that they were itty bitty Brownies. Probably around 6 or 7. And they were wearing beanies. Now I don't know if you're familiar with a Girl Scout beanie, but they are little fuzzy hats with a little tassle-type thing sticking up on the top. And they are the most ridiculous looking things in the world- unless you're 6. And then I made my fatal mistake- I looked at them and smiled.

"ooo, m'am would you please like to buy a box of Girl Scout cookies from us?"

Aw crap. I hesitated and they trapped me with the beanies-- that's how they lure you in. I was a Girl Scout, I should have been anticipating. I told you they were wiley creatures.

I looked down and there is this child that is too cute for words. Curly brown hair, freckles, missing front teeth, and huge brown eyes. I think they brought in a ringer especially for this event.

"Honey, I don't have any money with me...." and my feeble attempt at an excuse died in my throat as that little face fell. I swear I saw tears filling her eyes.

Who was I kidding? I was caught the second I saw those beanies.

"But wait.... I'll get some cash when I'm in the store and I'll buy a box on my way out, okay?"

The little face brightened, all traces of tears gone, and she skipped back to her table, that beanie bouncing away on her head.

And in case I had any thoughts of sneaking out, she was right there waiting for me when I came out of the store, beaming, waving, and smiling away.

I bought two boxes. It's a scam. No one can be that cute.

Emily and I were both involved in Scouts for years. My mother was a leader, a cookie mom, and a Service Area Manager (I think that's what it was). Some of the best memories from when we were kids was stuff with scouts. I loved Girl Scout cookie time. My competitive nature came out and my goal every year was to sell enough to earn two weeks free at summer camp. Mom said that in hindsight it would have been worth it to have just paid for camp instead of dealing with the hassle and headache. But I think she secretly enjoyed it.
We really lucked out that the church we attended didn't have a whole lot of kids, and we were the only Girl Scouts. When cookie time came around, it wasn't even an effort to sell them. They found us and our order form was filled. I often grumbled because Mom made us share a form and then split the total of cookies equally between us. I thought since I did most of the asking, I should get more. But looking back, I was much better off doing it her way. Emily was little than me, and alot cuter. People would have bought cookies from her just to see her smile.

I haven't thought about those Scouting years in a long time. When we moved here, older Girl Scouts really wasn't as active as it was in Alabama and we both kind of lost interest. I think Emily finally quit when she was in Junior High. I made it all the way through until I graduated, but it wasn't the same. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't finish my gold award. (Added to a long list of other failures and regrets). But the best years were those that we were in Alabama. I looked at those little Brownies and had to smile at how much fun they were having. They're still at the age where spending a sunny Saturday afternoon selling cookies and wearing those silly beanies was fun. I reminded me of all our fun adventures in Scouts. Because mom was Emily's troop leader, I got to tag along on alot of their trips, meetings, activities, Thinking Day celebrations, camp outs.... all kinds of things. Emily was at the age where she didn't care that I was around. And I was at the age where the younger girls all thought I was still cool. I still remember how cute Emily and her two friends Aimee and Erin were.
Everything reminds me of Emily. Her memory touches just about everything these days. But for the first time in awhile, the memories that flood my mind aren't as painfully sharp. The sight of those cookies and beanies brings a smile instead of a tear.

I need more cookie and beanie moments.

No comments: