Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Writing Contest!!

I came across a contest the other day. A writing contest. One of the blogs I've started reading (Pensieve) had posted a link to a blog called The Novel Doctor. Stephen's an editor, and he came up with a writing contest: Write a 200 word scene, somehow incorporating a wristwatch into the story. The winner is going be announced tomorrow. (The prize is a Starbucks or Amazon gift card. Sweet!) I decided to write something- just for grins and giggles.

Yesterday he posted 5 of his top ten choices. Mine wasn't there, but I really wasn't expecting it to be. Today he posted the remaining 5 of his top ten. I scanned the page and then let out the breath I didn't realize I was holding in a shocked "Whoooosh!". Mine's on there! I made the top ten! Out of 35 entries, mine is there! I hold no illusions about winning. Reading through some of the other entries, I can list a few that are better than mine. Doesn't matter though- I made the top ten!

You can read the first 5 entries here, and then the other 5 entries here, if you'd like. I'm also posting it below.
(Now I do want to throw a disclaimer out there- as you'll see, the scene involves a father/daughter. And it has absolutely nothing to do with my dad. It was just a little snippet of a story that popped into my head. So Dad, when you read this..... just know that I'm so lucky to have been the girl whose dad never grumbled about taking her to school when she missed the bus, and was never too busy to listen. K?)

“LAURA!”

Aggravated, he sighed. Today of all days she chose to miss the bus.

He shifted from one foot to the other, checking his watch.

She appeared in the kitchen, raising her eyes briefly. If he hadn’t chosen that moment to check his watch again, he might’ve seen the haunted expression on her face, the dark shadows under her eyes.

“I don’t have all day, let’s GO.”

Muttering to himself, he headed towards the car. She slid in the passenger seat wordlessly, fidgeting with her book bag. He didn’t notice it had been emptied of all her books.

They drove in silence. Arriving at the school’s entrance, he waited for her to get out, fingers drumming on the steering wheel.

She hesitantly whispered,

“Dad?”

He sighed, glancing at his watch. “You’ve made me late enough.”

Her shoulders slumped as she got out. Pulling away, he glanced in his rearview mirror. She was standing where he’d left her, watching him drive away.

Finally seeing her expression, a warning signal sounded deep in his heart. Something wasn’t right.

But glancing at his watch, he continued to speed away.

No comments: