Pages

Friday, June 12, 2009

Connectedness

May I just take a moment to say that I love the internet. LOVE IT.
I think I'm going through my teenage-hooked-on-the-computer phase about 10 years behind the curve. I'm on the computer all the time. I *almost* thought about getting an iPhone so I could really be connected everywhere. But I hate AT&T, so I resisted. And there is something to be said for being too connected.

What I love most about the internet is the way that it connects people. These days I think everyone has a blog. In some ways it's a little sad that we rely on a website to keep us up to date with friends and family. But yet, I think we share a little more of our hearts through words than speaking face to face. Kinda cool. And, putting life down in words captures so many of those little moments and memories and sayings forever that might otherwise be forgotten. I wish that blogs had been around when Em and I were growing up. So many of the stories and memories and details are fading too quickly.
I already know that if I ever have kids they will be the most photographed children ever. And now with my advent into the land of blogging, I'm afraid I might end of being one of those obnoxious parents that documents every time their kid burps. But I am making an oath to myself that I will never devote my status on facebook to documenting what is in my child's diaper. Yes, I have a friend who does that. Ew. There's something to be said for maintaining some sense of self.

But back to my train of thought.

What is also cool about the blog network is the extensions that come about from them. I stumbled across the coolest website the other week. One of the blogs I frequent is Beth Moore's. I love her books and her Bible Studies. Two months ago, her daughter went to India with Compassion International and was blogging about her experience. Through her website, I started reading one of her teammates blogs. And then through HER website, I found a link to this one.
Laura Salas's 15 Words or Less Poetic Challenge.

Poetry in Pictures! Two of my very favorite things in one. The general gist is to come up with a poem inspired by the photo, using 15 words or less.. It doesn't have to be about the picture- just something that the picture reminds you of. And it doesn't have to rhyme. Fun, fun, fun. If you want to give it a go, click on the button below for a link to this week's post. She usually posts a new one on Thursdays.



This is this week's photo. I thought of Emily. You would think by now I would have ceased being surprised by the fact that everything reminds me of her. Everything.

*sigh*



This is what I came up with first:

Emily

forever gone
life abruptly derailed
like a runaway train
leaving my heart
buried
in wreckage



And actually... I thought of two. But no one else seems to ever post more than one, so I cheated and posted the second one under my middle name. :)

Struggle

Hopes and dreams
hanging from a ledge
emptiness
struggling to find courage
to step back


(Note added 6-13-09... apparantely I frighted my poor mother. Just as a reassurance... I have no intention, desire, or thoughts whatsoever of jumping off a ledge. That's just what the picture made me think of. Not me :)

No comments: