Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The beauty of children.....

I was working at Food Lion this past Saturday night. And one of the women I work with at Frick came through my line with her daughter, who's around 12 or 13 I believe. We chatted for a bit, and then they left. Earlier today, Tracy stopped by my desk and told me after they left the store Lindsey was asking who I was and how she knew me. After Emily died, Tracy sent me a gift card from one of the local garden centers. She wrote instead of sending flowers, she thought maybe I would like to get a tree or something. The card was from her whole family, and I guess Tracy must have told Lindsey that I was the one they had sent the gift card to.
Then Tracy handed me a little envelope and said that Lindsey had asked her if she thought it would be okay to make me a card:

The front:
"Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer."
~Psalm 4:1

Inside:
"Dear Ms. Melissa,
I heard about your sister and I realize that it was a long time ago but I wanted to say I'm sorry. I hope you are doing well, and if you ever need to talk to someone you can talk to me or God. I do really hope you are feeling better."

How precious is that? That's what I love about kids. They are so sincere, and so sweet. IT's funny-- we try and "dumb down" death when we talk to kids. We paint pretty pictures of people "going to sleep" or becoming angels and we write books for kids with pretty pictures and pearly gates. But I think that kids get it better than we do. It's not that they can't cope or understand, it's that we don't know how to explain what we ourselves still can't comprehend.

I told Tracy she better give that child a big hug from me. And tell her to never lose that sweetness.

On a lighter note- I've realized that I have become old. This is the second time this week that I've been called "Miss Melissa". I could be someone's kindergarten teacher or something. I think I've turned into an adult...

No comments: