Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Another Piece

Emily's stupid hamster is sick. Or maybe it's just old age. Whatever it is, the little thing is not looking good. I feel bad- I don't like the thing. It's noisy. I swear it waits to start chewing on the cage until I sit down to watch my favorite show on TV. It smells, and it's not a very friendly hamster at that. And, I resented getting stuck with it because Emily decided to be a baby. When I got my dog two summers ago, Em threw a temper tantrum because I was getting a pet and she wasn't. So she ended up with a hamster. That she swore she would take to her townhouse in Shippensburg. Well once she realized that they actually require some effort to take care of, all of a sudden there was a convienent "no pets" allowed rule at the townhouse. Even though her one housemate had a pet iguana. But we still got stuck with it. And on top of it all, she gave it a really stupid name. I mean seriously, who names a hamster Cleopatra?
*Sigh* Emily, that's who.

She always marched to her own drum with everything else, why should a hamster name be any different.

Now don't get me wrong. I love animals. And she is a cute little thing--- but I still don't like it. And as irrational as it may sound, I think the main reason I dislike the thing is because it outlived my sister. Emily's gone, but that dumb little hamster is still here. But I don't want the thing dead, and I really hate seeing it look so sad and miserable. And it's losing a connection to Emily. It's another one of those little pieces that's going to be lost.

No comments: