Pages

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Bittersweet pieces

Emily used to always write notes to apologize when she'd done something to upset me. It drove me nuts- I don't know why. I used to tell her that if she really wanted to apologize, she ought to do it face to face instead of in a note. Stupid, right?
I was a bossy brat... I never stopped to consider that she probably used to write notes to apologize because I was horrible about holding grudges. I didn't make it easy for her, that's for sure.

My mother was at my grandparents house last weekend, and Grandma gave her a note I'd written to Emily that that she'd found and saved. I can't believe she saved it all these years, but I'm glad she did.....

Dated June 21,1996

"Emily,
I'm sorry about fighting with you. I don't like getting upset, and sometimes I know I can be bossy, but I don't mean to be, it's just that you're my only sister and I want to look after you. I'll try not to be bossy, and I'll try not to act like your mother all the time. I <3 u so very much!
You're loving sister,
Melissa
XOXO"

I have no idea what I did that made her so mad that I had to write a note to apologize to her. I must've really ticked her off though.

I just wish that I had tried harder to look after her.

No comments: