Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Catching up



It's been a very strange time. In the last three weeks I've started a job, marked the passing of the 2nd anniversary of Emily's death, went to the beach with Laurie and Rachel, celebrated my 27th birthday, and then found out that the company I was working for hired someone else while I was gone.

I feel like I'm really not quite sure where to start, and with what. Right after I posted my blog about the cutting, my computer cord fried and I was without a computer for several days. I never really got to acknowledge the comments that so many people left for me. Forgive the silence, and know that I treasure every word written.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the job situation. One of the pitfalls of working through a temp agency is that the employer doesn't necessarily have to give you a reason why they don't think you're a good fit. There's a little more to the story than that, as there usually is, but what's done is done, and there's not much sense whining about it anymore. It wasn't a good fit for me either, and I'm just praying that something else that will be comes along soon.

In someways, I'm almost glad our annual beach trip happens to be around the time of Emily's death. I don't know what it is about the ocean that makes me feel closer to her, but that's where her memory comes alive to me the most. I can think of her and the knot around my heart loosens just a little. Perhaps this sounds corny, but staring out into an endless sea gives me a greater appreciation for everything that I do have. Maybe it's the feeling of being so insignificant when you think about the big picture. Whatever it is, I come away from the beach feeling restored.

I purposely left my computer at home for the week we were gone. Which is a first for me. Usually I find myself going through some kind of withdrawl after a few days. Even when I was in Poland I made sure I got my internet fix at the local internet cafe. I guess I kind of wanted to prove to myself that I could go without it. And you know what? I really didn't miss it all that much. Instead of staying up late plugged into my computer, I went to bed so I could get up with the sunrise. Instead of checking up on the latest facebook status, I spent more time checking in with the two people closest to me. It was- refreshing.

But now I find myself once again with the weekdays stretching ahead of me, plugged into my laptop sending out applications again. Ironic.

It's been a strange three weeks. I hope the next three are a little better.

No comments: